Health Insurance Requirement
Every full-time Florida State University student must show proof of comparable health insurance prior to registration once each year.
- Student must purchase eligible insurance plan from University Health Services.
- Student must be enrolled for at least 9 hours during semester.
- Student must have an appointment from the first day of classes to the last day of exams.
- Student must have a minimum .25 FTE for appointment referenced above.
- Student must have qualifying appointment code (listed above).
Students on the following fellowships/assistantships will receive a $1,300 subsidy
- McKnight Fellowship
- Gubernatorial Fellowship
- Wilson-Auzenne Assistantship
- FAMU Feeder Fellowship
- Students with non-duty fellowships will receive subsidy benefit by way of salary supplements rather than payroll deductions.
Costs Per Semester
- Domestic: $696 Fall, $1,132 Spring/Summer
- International: $765 Fall, $1,244 Spring/Summer
Health Insurance Subsidy Benefit for Graduate Assistants and Fellows
The Health Insurance Subsidy Benefit is a subsidy that is provided to eligible students to apply towards the cost of their University purchased health insurance plan.
- When a student is determined to be eligible the university will provide a subsidy benefit amount dictated by the student’s FTE. This is the “Employer Portion,” and will be applied to the total amount owed for the policy. The remaining amount which is the “Employee’s Portion,” will be automatically deducted from the employee’s paycheck. Both the “Employer Portion” and “Employee Portion” must be deducted from the same five paychecks (dates listed below) in order to qualify as a pre-tax benefit.
Key Changes: Previously, a student who purchased a plan and was eligible was simply issued a check for the subsidy amount.
New processes outlined below:
- Student purchases policy.
- Student is deemed to be eligible for subsidy.
- University provides subsidy towards the amount owed on the policy.
- Remaining balance is deducted from employee paychecks on the following five dates: 10/3, 10/17, 11/14, 11/26, 12/12.
- Students who become eligible for the subsidy benefit after the payroll deduction calculation has begun will be given the subsidy as a payroll supplement at the end of the term.
Distribution of Health Insurance Subsidy Benefit to Qualified Graduate Assistants
- The health insurance subsidy benefit will be given as a payroll benefit (see attached explanation).
- This subsidy benefit will not show up in your Blackboard Account Statement.
- The subsidy benefit will be disbursed on a semester-by-semester (20 hrs. /week or .50 FTE fall $433; spring/summer $867*; 10-19 hrs. or .25-.49 FTE fall $216; spring/summer $434*).
- Taxes will NOT apply
- Cumulative academic year FTE’s will be calculated in the spring semester subsidy benefit calculations.
What Every Student Needs To Know
- Purchase policy.
- If eligible, look for an email the week of September 1, a benefit enrollment email.
- Do not disregard the benefit enrollment email; you must make a benefit election to receive the subsidy benefit by the deadline listed in the email.
- Select “yes.” (There really is no reason to select no- unless you are an international student and your respective government is covering all costs.)
- No exceptions.
- After purchasing your policy, you will be sent your policy documents.
- The charge appears on your “Accounts Receivable” in Student Financial Services.
- If you are eligible and elect to receive the subsidy benefit, the price of the policy will then be moved off of your accounts receivable.
- The subsidy benefit is given in five paychecks. The Employer Portion becomes the part the Grad School pays; the Employee Portion is the portion that you pay.
- The price of the domestic fall-only policy is $696.00.
- Fall .5 FTE eligible GA gets subsidy benefit of $433.00.
- Graduate School pays $433 of $696 over 5 paychecks.
- You pay $263.00 over 5 paychecks.
- *Department Note: Graduate Assistants appointed to E+G funding will have the employer portion absorbed by the Graduate School. Graduate Assistants appointed to C+G, Local, and Auxiliary projects will have the employer portion charged to the project.
Enrollment and Contact Information
- For information on cost, coverage, how and when to enroll for the university sponsored health insurance visit the University and Health Services website at http://healthcenter.fsu.edu/
or call 644-6230.
- For information about the health insurance subsidy benefit for graduate assistants and fellowship holders contact The Graduate School at 644-3501 or firstname.lastname@example.org