Before Your Defense
- Familiarize yourself with the Thesis, Treatise, Dissertation section of The Graduate School website, including deadlines, formatting requirements and templates. Please see submenus to the left.
- The official method of communication at Florida State University is your FSU e-mail account. In order to stay informed and aware, you are required to set up and maintain your account and check it three times per week. If you choose to have your official FSU account forwarded to another e-mail account, you are still held responsible for all information distributed by the University to your FSU account.
- Submit your defense announcement to The Graduate School at this website: https://netprod.its.fsu.edu/CS_Defense_Announcement
- Submit your manuscript to The Graduate School through the ProQuest ETD Administrator website (www.etdadmin.com/fsu). You are required to submit your manuscript by the last day to submit for pre-defense format review for your semester of graduation or within your 60-Day Deadline, whichever is earlier. We understand that your content will likely change after your defense. Manuscripts submitted for the pre-defense format review must be 90% content complete, including any tables and figures, and must include the title page, committee page, table of contents, lists (if needed), abstract and references. Initial reviews are valid for two semesters, the original semester and one semester following. If the defense is delayed further, a new initial review must be completed by the appropriate deadline.
At Your Defense
- Bring all required forms, as it is much easier to get all required signatures from your committee members at your defense.
After Your Defense
- Submit your forms to The Graduate School Manuscript Clearance Office in 314 Westcott.
- Revise your manuscript content and formatting, and submit a revision to your ProQuest ETD account.
- Your Manuscript Clearance Advisor will review your revisions and inform you about any additional format changes.
- Revise the manuscript with those formatting changes and repeat the submission/review process until the manuscript formatting is approved.
Once your formatting is approved and the office has received and approved all of your required forms, you will receive the “fireworks” email stating that you have completed the manuscript clearance process. Your manuscript is not cleared for graduation until you receive that email. Leaving campus or Tallahassee does not waive any of the requirements or deadlines.
In order to submit your manuscript successfully, you must adhere to the formatting rules found in the most recent version of the "Guidelines and Requirements," as well as the deadlines outlined for the semester you plan to graduate.
JUNE 25, 2018
Last day for doctoral students to submit their manuscript for initial format review. This review is required for graduation.
JULY 9, 2018
Last day for master’s students to submit their manuscript for initial format review.This review is required for graduation.
JULY 23, 2018
Last day for all doctoral and master’s students to submit the first attempt at final clearance of the final, defended version of manuscript and all required forms.
AUGUST 3, 2018
Last day for all doctoral and master’s students to receive clearance email from the Manuscript Clearance Office
*Missing a semester deadline will result in the student automatically being ineligible for graduation that term.
60-Day Deadline: The final, defended, content-approved manuscript and all required forms must be submitted to Manuscript Clearance within 60 calendar days after a successful defense. Students under the 60-day deadline must receive an email from Manuscript Clearance confirming final clearance no later than 7 calendar days after the 60-day deadline. This allows time for additional formatting corrections to be made, if necessary. Weekends and University Holidays are not excluded from any deadline, so please take this into account when planning to meet this deadline. No exceptions will be made for this policy.